FYI: Here is an event that is coming in San Diego
NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) /A2IM (American Association of Independent Music) Music Business Crash Course in San Diego June 7.
When: Sun. June 7-8:30am-7:00pm
Where: San Diego Marriot, 333 W. Harbor Dr.
Free for NARM 2009 convention attendees,
A2IM members and individual artists-$25
all others- $75.
Includes lunch and invitation to the NARM opening cocktail event
- individual artists
- music labels
- music entrepreneurs looking to get into the music commerce space who need to learn the music industry rules & regulations
The course will start with an industry overview and music basics for artists and newbie labels and businesses and then, as the day progresses, cover the pressing industry issues that all music creators and content users at any experience level need to know. A2IM Pres. Richard Bengloff will moderate the program and as a portion of the morning present portions of his music industry course that he teaches at Fordham MBA as well as at ADA University, Fontana University and to members of the Billboard editorial staff, among others. The instructors will include music label owners, distributors/aggregators, retailers and social networking/web execs. The curriculum is as follows:
2009 NARM Music Business Crash Course Agenda:
- 8:30am – 9:30am – Welcome & Opening Panel “How to access the U.S. Market”
- 9:30am – 10:15am – Music Industry Overview & 101 Business Basics
- 10:15am – 10:30am – Break
- 10:30am – 11am – Music Business 101 Cont’d
- 11am – 11:30am – Seven Ways to Market Music
- 11:30am – Noon – Label War Stories panel – I wish I had known…
- Noon – 12:30pm – Lunch
- 12:30pm – 1pm – Hiring staff in-house or out-sourcing your radio promotion, publicity and other functions
- 1pm – 1:30pm – Social Networks & The Web as Free Promotion!
- 1:30pm – 2:15 pm – Distribution/Retail access – How do I get it? (Physical/Digital)
- 2:15 pm – 2:30 pm – Break
- 2: 30pm – 3:00 pm – Label Back Room – Royalty & Tech. Support
- 3:00pm – 3: 45 pm – Current industry issues
- 3:45pm – 5pm – NARM Speed Dating
- 5:30pm – NARM Cocktail Reception