1320 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101
Sunday June 3, 2018 5:00 pm
Check is starts at 4:30 pm
How to Enter
- Entry Fees: Submit submission fee of $20
- Provide Song Information: Once your fee is accepted, you will be directed to an information form. This form will allow your to enter your contact information, song lyrics, and upload your an MP3 of your song. You can only submit one song at a time. Once the first song is entered you can then add a second song if desired.
- Deadline for online submission: is 4:00 p.m. Sunday May 27th, 2018
- Contest Event: Come out to the event on June 3rd, 2018
San Diego Songwriter’s Guild Song Contest Rules
- Song entries will be judged by a committee consisting of industry professionals, songwriters and/or SDSG staff. Judges will score entries on five criteria:
- originality and
- All styles of music are eligible, but instrumentals will receive no lyric score.
- Each entry must be the contestant’s original work. By entering this contest you are confirming that the song submitted is original and you hold rights to the song. Failure to comply will result in immediate disqualification and an alternative winner will be selected.
- Songwriter must be present at the time of the awards presentation to receive prize. Songwriters who are not present at the awards presentation will be disqualified from consideration for prizes and awards.
- Contestants and their collaborators retain all rights to works submitted, but entries will not be returned by SDSG.
- Contest is open to amateur songwriters, meaning one who has not been employed as a staff writer for a publishing company, who is not being paid for such services, and/or who has not received more than $5,000 in song royalty income within the past year.
- No song previously recorded and released through major national distribution in any country is eligible.
- Grand Prize (Platinum) winning songwriter from the previous two consecutive song contest (2015, 2016) is not eligible to enter the contest. All other previous entrants from years not indicated above can make a song submission.
- The contest is open to songwriters who are 18 years of age or older on the date of entry submission. Any entrant who is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of legal residence must submit written permission from his or her parent or legal guardian to participate in the contest. Parental Consent Form – Contestants under 18 years old Download
- Songs that placed in the top 4 prize categories (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze) from previous year’s song contest cannot be resubmitted and will be disqualified.
- Prizes for this year’s contest have yet to be determined. Check out prizes from prior years at our website Note: many of the prizes are “San Diego” based and can only be redeemed in San Diego stores, offices, and studios.
- Winners are responsible for division of prizes and taxes.
- No more than 70 entries will be accepted; SDSG reserves the right to limit submissions further.
- A maximum of one of entry will be accepted per writer. Co-writes count proportionately toward this total. (For example: an entry with two writers counts as 1/2 of one entry for each writer.) San Diego Songwriter’s Guild reserves the right to limit entries further.
- San Diego Songwriter’s Guild is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, or misappropriated entries.
- Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation.
- This contest is limited to local songwriters only. You must be a current resident living in San Diego County, California.
- Entries that violate these rules may be disqualified, and submitted fees will not be returned. All judges’ decisions are final.
Contest Date: June 3rd 2018
Join the San Diego Songwriter’s Guild or renew your expired membership when you enter and you may enter at member rates. Membership Applications are available at Online and at the event.
Admission to the live event is FREE to contestant and one additional guest.
Parental Consent Form – Contestants under 18 years old Download