Monday February 13th, 2017 7:00 pm
Registration opens at 6:00 pm
Two Ways to Enter
1) Submit Online
- Entry Fees: Submit submission fee of $10 for current SDSG members for each song and $20 for non-members (limit 2 songs)
- Provide Song Information: Once your fee is accepted, you will be directed to an information form. This form will allow your to enter your contact information, song lyrics, and upload your an MP3 of your song. You can only submit one song at a time. Once the first song is entered you can then add a second song if desired.
- Deadline for online submission: is 3:00 p.m. Saturday February 11th, 2017
- Contest Event: Come out to the event on February 13th, 2017
Online Submission Closed – Only Walk in entries accepted
2) Submit At Event
- Registration: Registration will start at 4:00 p.m. at the venue. Come early to allow for processing time. Walk in submission will close at 5:00 p.m.
- Entry Form: Completed and signed Entry Form, see below, photocopy is OK. One form per song entered. (limit 2)
- Audio CD or MP3 File: Each song must be submitted on its own individual CD or MP3 file on a Flash Drive. You must indicate the track number of each song submitted.
- Lyric Sheets: 6 copies of typed lyric sheets Sheets are not required for instrumental compositions. Performer’s/songwriter’s names must not appear on lyric sheets. Entries will be number coded to assure impartiality in judging.
- Entry fees: $15 per song for active members and $30 per song for non-members. Payment to be in U.S. Dollars. Payments may be by check, cash or credit card. (Limited numbers of entrants may be accepted)
Here are the current judges. (subject to change)
- Craig Goldy
- Peter Dyson
- Steven Ybarra
- Mookie Kazcor
- Tod Howarth
We’ll be giving away great prizes, donated by San Diego Songwriter’s Guild sponsors, to the top three songs plus honorable mentions, too.
- Baby Taylor guitar
Grey Brick Recording
- Package includes one free song (up to 10 hours of studio time and mixing/mastering, needs to be redeemed within 6 months
West Coast Talent House
- One Song Demo
- 6 hours studio time or an option to attend one of their new classes
- 5 hours of studio time with the owner Roy as engineer or 9 hours of studio time if you provide your own engineer.
Music video shoot/edit
- Professional Music Video by local professional MAP Entertainment.
- 1 year membership to their website. Easily create your own attractive and powerful Music website.
Recording/Mixing session with by Brian Scheuble
- Famous recording engineer who recently moved here from LA. Zach Brown, Elton John, Tom Petty, Don Henley
- Professional photo shoot with Cathryn Beeks – enhance your image with a professional photo shoot.
- One Year Gold Level Membership
- Winning song featured on Cathryn Beeks show.
San Diego Songwriter’s Guild
- One year membership
Last Years Sponsors
San Diego Songwriter’s Guild Song Contest Rules
- Song entries will be judged by a committee consisting of industry professionals, songwriters and/or SDSG staff. Judges will score entries on five criteria: lyrics, melody, form, originality and presentation. All styles of music are eligible, but instrumentals will receive no lyric score.
- Each entry must be the contestant’s original work. By entering this contest you are confirming that the song submitted is original and you hold rights to the song. Failure to comply will result in immediate disqualification and an alternative winner will be selected.
- Songwriter must be present at the time of the awards presentation to receive prize. Songwriters who are not present at the awards presentation will be disqualified from consideration for prizes and awards.
- Contestants and their collaborators retain all rights to works submitted, but entries will not be returned by SDSG.
- Contest is open to amateur songwriters, meaning one who has not been employed as a staff writer for a publishing company, who is not being paid for such services, and/or who has not received more than $5,000 in song royalty income within the past year.
- No song previously recorded and released through major national distribution in any country is eligible.
- Grand Prize (Platinum) winning songwriter from the previous two consecutive song contest (2014, 2015) is not eligible to enter the contest. All other previous entrants from years not indicated above can make a song submission.
- The contest is open to songwriters who are 18 years of age or older on the date of entry submission. Any entrant who is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of legal residence must submit written permission from his or her parent or legal guardian to participate in the contest. Parental Consent Form – Contestants under 18 years old Download
- Songs that placed in the top 4 prize categories (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze) from previous year’s song contest cannot be resubmitted and will be disqualified.
- Prizes for this year’s contest have yet to be determined. Check out prizes from prior years at our website Note: many of the prizes are “San Diego” based and can only be redeemed in San Diego stores, offices, and studios.
- Winners are responsible for division of prizes and taxes.
- No more than 70 entries will be accepted; SDSG reserves the right to limit submissions further.
- A maximum of two of entries will be accepted per writer. Co-writes count proportionately toward this total. (For example: an entry with two writers counts as 1/2 of one entry for each writer.) San Diego Songwriter’s Guild reserves the right to limit entries further.
- San Diego Songwriter’s Guild is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, or misappropriated entries.
- Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation.
- This contest is limited to local songwriters only. You must be a current resident living in San Diego County, California.
- Entries that violate these rules may be disqualified, and submitted fees will not be returned. All judges’ decisions are final.
Contest Date: February 13th 2017
Join the San Diego Songwriter’s Guild or renew your expired membership when you enter and you may enter at member rates. Membership Applications are available at Online and at the event.
After early registration has past, we encourage entrants to submit entries in person at the Contest to avoid entries being late due to mail delays.
Admission to the live event is FREE to SDSG Members; $10 for non-members.
Parental Consent Form – Contestants under 18 years old Download